Re: Brake Drum removal

To: <morgans@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Brake Drum removal
From: "William Eastman" <william.eastman@medtronic.com>
Date: Wed, 22 Dec 1999 09:28:10 -0600
Greg,

I don't know if this was a response to my last post but in any case, I
can appreciate the need for clarity.  When I said that people leave out
the grub screws, I was talking about the little flat-head screws on
disk-wheeled cars.  On my MGA there are two on each rear wheel (front
disc brakes also held on by separate bolts, I believe).  The larger
bolts that hold the brake drum to a wire-wheel car's hub or disk to all
cars are very necessary since they are what transfers torque from the
brake disk to the wheel.  Make sure that they are all there, in good
condition, and uniformly torques to the proper specification.

On disk wheeled cars, the small screws are not relied upon for torque
transfer.  I suppose that if your wheel studs all broke then these are
the last line of defense but this rarely happens on the street.  For
racing it is another manner entirely.

Usual disclaimers apply.  Your brakes are important so don't skimp on
their repair.  This is especially true on the old cars with a single
circuit.

Happy Holidays,
Bill

>>> "Greg Solow" <gregmogdoc@surfnetusa.com> 12/21/99 11:18PM >>>
The very large screws are pegs which drive the brake drum and are
NOT TO
BE REMOVED.   On a wire wheel car there are always suppossed to be 4
1/4 bsf
cap screws (bolts) which hold the drum in place against the hub.  On a
disc
wheeled car, I believe that there should be 4 flat head slot drive
screws
that hold the drums in place and they are driven by the same studs that
hold
the wheels on.

Regards, Greg Solow