Re: Backup Lights

To: "Stein, Ross" <Ross.Stein@kp.org> ("M0899")
Subject: Re: Backup Lights
From: Phil Fisher <pcfisher@ibm.net>
Date: Mon, 20 Dec 1999 13:18:08 -0800
Ross:

I had exactly the same situation arise with our 1992 Plus 8.

On the top of the gearbox just to the right of the gearshift lever is
a small switch that controls the reversing lamps.  This is a
spring-loaded on-off switch that should normally be in open mode when
the car is in any gear except reverse.  When the reverse gear is
selected, the lever mechanism pushes a protruding extension that
closes the circuit.

On mine, after purchasing a new reversing switch (happened to get
mine at Life's Motors in Southport England while I was spending some
time working in Liverpool) I found the real reason for my reversing
lamps staying on.  The switch had been screwed in too tightly and the
lever mechanism had hit the switch too hard, pushing the button in
and crimping over the hole slightly which disallowed the pin from
returning out to the open position.  I took a drill bit and uncrimped
the hole (basically reaming it back out to full diamater) and lo and
behold the switch worked again.  Didn't actually need to spend the 20
Pounds Sterling. (I do have a spare functional switch now)

The switch is accessible (barely) by taking off the upholstered
tunnel cover off and rotating open the cover plate on the right side
(facing the front of the car) of the tunnel cover.  Looking in, you
can see the two wires coming out of the switch and heading forward on
top of the transmission.

Try backing out the switch first to see if that will turn the
reversing lamps out -- if it is not necessary to take it out all the
way it will save a lot of foul words!!  The other alternative is to
remove the tunnel cover completely -- a real nasty and tedious job.

Good luck!

Phil Fisher
1970 4/4 4-seater
1992 Plus 8