RE: Gasoline or petrol

To: "'wms'" <wms@vaxxine.com>
Subject: RE: Gasoline or petrol
From: "Vandergraaf, Chuck" <vandergraaft@aecl.ca>
Date: Fri, 10 Mar 2000 16:21:15 -0500
Glenn,

I doubt if a boycott would have much of an effect, especially if it did not
include a reduction on driving.  The whole issue of oil prices is very
complex; I understand that there is not one price (the one we see listed in
the newspapers) but that, with vertical integration, some oil companies pay
a lot less for a barrel of crude than others.  Add to that the artificial
pricing (I was in the US last week and noticed that "premium" is about 10 US
cents per gallon more expensive than "regular."  In Canada, the price
differential is 10 C cents per litre, or ~25 US cents per gallon.  Go
figure!

It would be interesting to track the retail price of gasoline on both sides
of the border.  I don't know how much profit the oil companies make but I
understand it is a lot less per litre than the government takes in.  If the
government only used the money to fix up the highways, I wouldn't mind so
much but, no, the money goes to general revenue (a.k.a. "black hole") and we
all know what Jane Stewart knows what to do with it!

I think the fairest approach is to go to a two-tiered system: each car owner
gets coupons for a limited amount of gasoline that can be bought at, say, 40
cents/litre.  Anything over that would have to be bought at going prices.

As for pollution control, why not concentrate on the regions that have high
automobile densities, where the pollution is most severe?  One can make a
strong case for more relaxed rules in wide open spaces (prairies, N. Ontario
and N. Quebec) where "the solution to pollution is dilution."

Chuck Vandergraaf