Re: jack stands

To: "John F. Bates" <jfbjd@swbell.net>, morgans@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: jack stands
From: "david" <pdburket@intrepid.net>
Date: Wed, 29 Mar 2000 18:58:08 -0500
I would like to put in my two cents worth regarding placement of jack
stands, most especially the two rear stands.  I am in the my seventh year of
a ground up restoration(much too long)!  During the early years I placed the
rear stands just behind where the axle passes over the chassis.  Much to my
surprise, I found that the chassis bent under each rear axle.  Since
straightening and reinforcing the chassis, I now mount the rear jack stands
on the chassis  directly under the rear axle. After some time, there seems
to be some movement in the chassis to the point the doors and bonnet shut
lines don't line up. After an hour or so off the stands thing start to
settle out. I have seen pictures of cars in shops with jack stands mounted
at the extreme end of the chassis.  For the life of me I don't know how they
can get away with not bending it.