Re: jack stands

To: JBlair@scn.spawar.navy.mil, morgans@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: jack stands
From: Oddcarnut@aol.com
Date: Wed, 29 Mar 2000 23:11:30 EST
John's suggestion really does work.

<<  Another very useful idea, is if you pull a wheel, slide it under the car
 for storage.  Again, if something gives, it will give you an addition 4" to
 5" of safety. >>

I've routinely done that for a long time.  And generally try to keep the
floor jack in reach or under the car too.  About 10 years ago, while under a
Saab 96, a cheap-o jackstand from Northern broke and things came crashing
down.  The tire & wheel gave me enough space to reach the jack handle with my
leg and pump it enough to get out from under the car.

For work when I am really getting under things, I now only use quality,
American made jackstands.  Avoid the made in China junk.

As for support the Mog, I cut a 2x4 to fit the width of the crosshead (about
20 in.) and use it on the jack pad.  Once up I set the jackstands under it.
I do the same thing at the rear cross member.  It's a nice one-step jack &
jackstand cushion/load spreader.

Cheers,

Ken Payne, 63 Plus 4, etc.