Re: Front fenders and supercharging

To: "Bob Nogueira" <nogera@prodigy.net>,
Subject: Re: Front fenders and supercharging
From: "Iain McKenzie" <iain@fairmile-1.freeserve.co.uk>
Date: Fri, 7 Apr 2000 07:01:47 +0100
-----Original Message-----
From: Bob Nogueira <nogera@prodigy.net>

>Interestingly Morgan fenders are made from two different gauges of
>sheetmetal. The outer section is 20 gauge and the inner section ( that
>triangle section under the headlight bucket ) is 16 or 18 gauge.

>From the early 70's the steel used was all 18 gauge. The differance you
mention is that the outer section is very heavily power rolled through
shaped rollers to produce that shape. This stretches the metal considerably
and will give the impression of a thinner gauge when doing repairs.
As for pre 70's, I suspect the same, but this is well before my time and
company history. I've only been involved in making the panels for Morgan for
the past few years.
Incidentally, for anyone repairing alluminium wings the material is 16gauge.
Hope this helps, or is of interest!
Iain McKenzie