RE: exhaust manifold and more

To: morgans@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: exhaust manifold and more
From: Phil Roettjer <Phil.Roettjer@quantum.com>
Date: Tue, 25 Apr 2000 07:31:17 -0700
Gerjan,
It sounds like you may have the dreaded sliding pillar wobble on your front
end. You should try all the alignment and tire balancing things first. In
addition check to make sure the damper blades are set up properly. These are
the flat blades that run from the spindle assembly to the chassis.  But if
all this does not work you will need to rebuild your front end suspension
(sliding pillars). I have not done this myself, but I am sure there are many
on the list who have and can comment. To rebuild them you need to replace
the king pins and then rebush the sliding spindle assembly. The problem is
that with too much wear this setup has a harmonic resonance that get excited
at about 50 MPH. I have heard people describe the vibration as being so
severe at speeds above 50 that it feels like the car will shake apart. And
by the way driving it in this condition is VERY dangerous. So you must
figure out what is wrong and get it fixed.

If you can get a copy of Fred Sisson's "The Morgan Bedside Reader" it is all
spelled out there. Fred is on this list, but I believe he is currently on a
trip to Australia.

Good luck,
Phil Roettjer
Upton, Ma