Re: wheel bearing.washer rotating on stub axle

To: <TrmpetDave@aol.com>, <Morgans@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: wheel bearing.washer rotating on stub axle
From: "Greg Solow" <Gregmogdoc@surfnetusa.com>
Date: Thu, 11 May 2000 20:09:05 -0700
I have seen this many times and don't like it at all.  What we have done,
once we make certain that the bearings are ok and there is no excessive
damage to the stub axle, is to carefully file a 1/8 inch deep round bottomed
grove in the stub axle in the same location where the original groove was
located.  Then we weld an oversize tab on the washer and grind it to fit
tighly into the groove so that the washer cannot spin.  The wheel bearings
are designed to be a "creep" fit on the spindle and it is correct for them
to rotate, approximately one revolution for everythousand revolutions of the
wheel, so that the load is distributed evenly around the inner race of the
bearing.  There should be a little end float in the hub bearings.  They
should not be preloaded at all or they will have a very short life.

Regards, Greg Solow