+4 Gearbox Problems

To: morgans@autox.team.net
Subject: +4 Gearbox Problems
From: Adam Selene <ASelene36@speedchoice.com>
Date: Mon, 20 Nov 2000 12:33:18 -0700
I have a 62' Plus 4 with gearbox problems. Even with double
clutching, it's almost impossible to downshift from 3rd to 2nd
without grinding gears. I've had two different fixes suggested to me,
neither of which sounds very attractive.

One "expert" suggested replacing the Moss Box with a later model
Jaguar Moss Box with full synchromesh.

Another said this was not possible as the Moss Box fitted to the +4,
while looking similar from the outside,  is actually different from
the Jaguar Moss Box internally in that it has a different diameter
input shaft and different ratios. This "expert" said that on the
Morgan Moss Box, the synchro ring on 2nd gear is integral with the
gear itself and therefore cannot be replaced. When asked if I
couldn't simply get an entire new 2nd gear with synchro ring, he said
that they were no longer available anywhere.

If anyone has anything to add to this I'd appreciate hearing from
you. I'm looking for any reasonable fix to this problem. Driving the
car with the gearbox in it's current condition is simply not an
option.

Thanks