daylight lights / seat belts / cooling

To: "Morgans@autox.team.net"@autox.team.net
Subject: daylight lights / seat belts / cooling
From: "George Dow" <gdow@pylon8.freeserve.co.uk>
Date: Mon, 15 Jan 2001 23:39:09 -0000
Hi there
            I have been reading the daylight headlamps stuff with interest
and have no information that is strong enough to stand against
statisticians...... Though as a motorcyclist and car driver my observations
are ........

In my country motorists seem to respond to bright yellow as traffic police
wear this colour on their uniform jackets when out of their cars.

another observation is that as a motorist I find it harder to judge the
speed of a m/cycle approaching with his lights on than off ? I think the
bright light possibly dazzles and thus one is not likely to look long enough
at it to be able to judge speed well ? I guess I would apply the same
theory, proportionately to a car with bright lights.

OK, so you could say that at least with lights on they have been seen......
Though I wonder how many have been seen and misjudged ?

I wear a armoured leather suit with bright yellow patches while riding my
m/cycle and ride with lights off during daylight in good weather, I do not
say it is safer to do it my way, though I do notice folk having a second
look, I think possibly to check the yellow  is not a police officer, I don`t
know for sure, though for years I rode around with black gear on and even on
one occasion lit a drivers face up in my headlight at dusk so clearly I
remember his blank facial expression as he pulled out in front of my
Norton!!!

Like most safety issues I guess if you have a choice then it`s personal, I
wear a helmet on a M/cycle as I have been "off" more than once and typing as
one who is alive after suffering seatbelt induced bruising as an alternative
to being impaled on a deformed steering wheel, I wear a seat belt when
driving.

I accept there are risks in m/cycling and driving in open top cars, though
would also suggest that safety can never be top of the agenda for those who
choose to do so ?

I am enjoying reading the cooling stuff..... Very interesting...... Colin, I
note you say that your prob is that the coolant ...er.....overflows when
shut down after a hot run..... Is it possible that if you allowed it to run
off load/light load  a little longer before shut down you might avoid the
surge ? I`m guessing that there is still to much heat in the head at the
time of shut down, and with a little more time to circulate and thus
dissipate the heat, you may solve the problem ? I guess if the bonnet were
opened this might aid the process ?

I know of turbo engines with electric radiator fans that run on even when
the engine is shut down and the key out of the ign..... Controlled by a
thermostat. If you run an electric fan, perhaps you might try that  before
having to attempt the fitting of an incontinence bottle (-:

I wondered about the consequences of stat removal, seems that the "expert"
advice is that to do so is to reduce cooling, I`m no expert, though I would
have thought that to reduce the resistance to flow might have lessened the
chances of Colin`s prob as there might be an increased chance of natural
circulation when shut down ? I accept that the design of the system is for
pumped circulation with a stat in place, is it the case that the  resistance
of the stat is critical to the flow ?  I also note that there is mention of
"holding time" in the radiator to allow enough cooling ?  If the water is
being slowed down in the rad is it not also being slowed down in the head
where it will get warmer and thus require more cooling ? Sorry if my
questions appear stupid...... They just seem logical to me.

Always keen to learn and happy to discuss.

Cheers,   George.
Scotland.

///
///