Morgan 4/4

To: <morgans@autox.team.net>
Subject: Morgan 4/4
From: "Kerry Seibert" <ckchapel@fast.net>
Date: Thu, 1 Feb 2001 18:54:09 -0500
TOM - The first thing you want to do is check which vintage groups are
active in your geographical area and send for their new member packet which
will show Morgan classifications and groupings, and all driver and car
requirements.  Not practical to prepare your car to VDCA specs if you live
and plan to participate in Oregon!  Some groups are more "lenient" than
others in regards to "upgrading" and post/pre dating components.  Some allow
a rear tube shock conversion, some allow gutted interiors, some allow a
1600cc Ford Crossflow in an earlier chassis.  Try to join a group whose
philosophy about the sport and car prep mirrors your own beliefs and
expectations. Yes, I think a "well-prepared" yet within the rules 4/4 is the
best all-around road AND track car. (A statement SURE to cause a
discussion!)  It is simple, reliable, lighter, better handling, and easier
to drive than a +4 or +8.  I think the fastest Morgan on the East Coast
right now it the Lotus TwinCam powered 4/4 of Dave Bondon although I have
not seen (and what a battle it could be!) how he would stack up against the
blistering fast 1600 powered 4/4 of Greg Miller.  I have a 1600 in my 1961
4/4 (for some 27 years now) and still think it could be the best all-around
Morgan combination.  I got into vintage racing about three years ago on a
limited time and $$$ budget.  I would have loved to use the 4/4 but it is a
bit scruffy to use for circuit racing so I am using our '68 +8 which needed
very little to be "track-worthy".  It's what I call a "tarted-up" streetcar,
still useable on the street, and a true example of a prepared production
car.  In spite of its touted V8, I still get my butt kicked by Greg Miller,
Clay Cook's +4 SS, and have a tough time keeping up with the race-prepared
+4s.  But I'm still having a ball participating safely at a level me and the
ol' girl are comfortable with. "You will never be the fastest, nor will you
ever be the slowest . . . . . . .but you will have fun".

Cheers, Craig Seibert      1968 +8     1961 4/4