Re: Electronic ignition for 1971 +8

To: "morgans@autox.team.net" <morgans@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Electronic ignition for 1971 +8
From: lmg@gomog.com
Date: Wed, 07 Mar 2001 12:15:51 -0500
> I'd like to convert my 1971 +8 (s/n R7412) to electronic ignition.
> The existing distributor is Lucas 35D8 41317H, vacuum advance,
> clockwise rotation.

> Any suggestions, tall or woeful tales, or other information will be
> much appreciated.
>
> Thanks, Dave.

Hi Dave,

The Rover unit used just after the 35D8, the 35DM8 (1982-1986), is very
good. It is electronic, and has the amplifier mounted separately away
from the engine heat. Sadly, the units after 1986 had the amplifier
re-incorporated into the distributor and the problems started again.

If you go Mallory, forget the Unilite and go with the Dual Point with
vacuum advance. To safely work the Unilite needs a resistor (as it runs
on 7-8 volts) and a noise reducer (so you can play a radio) and NEVER
charge you car with it connected or you can destroy it. Though they are
well made units if a part goes you must wait and then wait some more.
They are also very expensive.  Mallory does not sell direct. Century
Performance part number on the Mallory unilite is #4768901 and on the
Dual Point is #2768902.

You can also fit a Lumenition Distributor or a standard 215 distributor
as nicely, with and MSD coil. Even a HEI conversion can be done.
http://www.geocities.com/MotorCity/Show/2505/ignition.html

If it were I.. I would go with a standard Buick distributor and a MSD
coil. Big time spark for a decent price and you will never get stuck
anywhere.

90% of the time and ignition problems on the car will stem from the
silly timing chain. Changing that is always the first step.

Lorne

///
///