Re: Smiths Instruments

To: "smanwell" <smanwell@sprintmail.com>
Subject: Re: Smiths Instruments
From: "MICHAEL VIRR" <virrmj@prodigy.net>
Date: Tue, 24 Apr 2001 21:31:00 -0400
Yes - the Magnolis gauges do match the old off white units I have the new
tach and temp gauge alongside th old units (which could do with new decalls
as they are alittle faded).

However we have stablished after two weeks of trial and error because the GB
instruments who sell the gauges to nisonger really do not understand the
units.
1. The new tachs will only work with a negative earth 9I converted my car).
2. The new Smiths tach will work with the Pertronix ignition system but the
old Smiths electronic pulsing units will not.
3. The new tachs will work on a 12-17 volt circuit.
4. The new temperature gauges will not work on a positive earth system
because they need a voltage regulator (for 10 volts).
5. The voltage regulator must be installed with the new temp unit otherwise
it will read too high a temperature (typically 130 deg C instead of 90 deg.
C).
6. The voltage regulator will actually burn out if you connect it up to a
positive ground system.

I have been through all this over the last few weeks and Woody at Nisonger
should know what the deal is now.
The gauges are very good but like most electronic parts the system must be
compatible.

You generally find if you buy parts in the Uk they are half the cost of
buying them here but bear in mind the importer/agent has had to pay
transport, duty, handing and wants to make a profit.  This is just as true
from buying Morgan parts.  I try to go to the UK a lot.  Last year I brought
in crankshaft and rods, gemmer gearbox apart from various Riley parts for
the Ulster Imp I am rebuilding including two engines.

Good Luck, Mike Virr