Sticking third in Moss

To: Morgans@autox.team.net
Subject: Sticking third in Moss
From: Elton & Jane Wright <delicate@rev.net>
Date: Tue, 12 Jun 2001 11:16:55 -0400
Dear Brothers (and Sisters) of Morgandom,

This weekend I took the newly refurbished '67 Plus Four tourer to
Tanglewood Park in Clemons NC for the annual Triad Austin Healey Club's
British Car Days show.  Mine was one of 5 Morgans present with the honors
going to Norris Haynes' Plus 4 Flat Rad.  Thanks to the group for their
usual good job.  Now to the business at hand.  On the way back we drove the
scenic route which took us north of Clemons all the way to the Blue Ridge
Parkway, thereby returning to Roanoke.  This made the 2.5 hour trip down
take 4 hours to return.  But leaving the piedmont of NC in the upper 80'sF,
and climbing into the mountains where the temp dropped to the low 70's made
for a very pleasant ride home, except for one mechanical thing.  After some
distance of running in third, seemingly mostly on overun, the 'box would
hang up in third.  Accelerating through the gears, no problem.  But get on
the gas and off it a few times and it is a real pain to get out of gear.
The gearbox is full of oil (80W-90), and very quiet in operation.  All of
the gears are a bit tight shifting, but no others stick.  Any clues as to
what to look for?  I don't want to take the thing out now unless I need to,
but I don't want to break a shift fork or something jerking it out of gear.
 I hope to see you all in Staunton VA for the East coast national meet MOG 31.

Elton

Elton & Jane Wright
Roanoke, Virginia, USA          delicate@rev.net
1967 Morgan Plus Four Tourer    1954 Morris Minor
1973 Land Rover 109 Regular w/Pickup cab
1961 Land Rover 88 Station Wagon

///
///