Chassis Number Problem

To: "Morgan List" <morgans@autox.team.net>
Subject: Chassis Number Problem
From: "Ross Jones" <rossjones@earthlink.net>
Date: Mon, 9 Jul 2001 18:48:56 -0400
This weekend I was working on fixing the webbing on the drivers seat
(mentioned in an earlier post). I thought about switching the passenger seat
to the drivers side while working on it. When I pulled the right hand seat
all the way forward, I noticed something odd.

On the cross member, where the chassis number is stamped, there are
abrasions and rust, and it looks like someone was sanding or grinding the
cross member at the location of the chassis number. The rest of the cross
member, and the drivers side cross member, look like new. Only the area
where the number is located is rusty and scratched. It almost seems like
someone took a file to it.

The number on the top face of the tool box is C7390. On the cross member, I
can only make out the numbers C7... The rest I cannot make out. I even tried
doing a rubbing with charcoal and paper, but it is indecipherable.

Is this number stamped one digit at a time at the factory? It seems to be,
as the numbers do not line up on a baseline.

My car, a 1987 4/4, propane powered, is definitely a real Morgan (I hope!).
I have taken so many things apart and repaired things, and everything is
just like the books say it should be. The car was appraised by Cantab Motors
prior to my purchase.

I remember back in the '80's a friend of mine bought an AH 3000, and then
could never get it registered or titled because none of the numbers matched.

Now my worst nightmare is -- did someone steal a few Morgans and piece mine
together from them? Or is it normal for the chassis number area to collect
rust? Prior to fixing my hand brake, I was carrying two little steel wheel
chocks under the passenger seat. They could have moved around and scratched
the cross member, maybe.

According to the title, the car was imported by Isis Imports to a Florida
customer. The second owner was a man in York, Pennsylvania, from whom I
purchased the car. I am the third owner, the car has 14,000 miles.

The big question is, since there are so few Morgans, who would have a few
lying around with which to piece together another? And why bother, unless
they were stolen?

Any insight would be appreciated.

///
///