Re: Chassis number problems

To: "Morgans@autox.team.net"@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Chassis number problems
From: "George Dow" <gdow@pylon8.freeserve.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 10 Jul 2001 10:49:33 +0100
Hi there
              Ross, I have been on various Morgan "lists" for some time now
as a precursor to acquiring my own Mog, I have noted that many folk are
interested in finding their numbers (I would be too) And that the official
registration process in the U.S. can perhaps be difficult without them, this
in its self seems to encourage folk to go searching using all number of ways
to make the numbers more legible, in your case it is possible that a
previous owner or over zealous official has inadvertently taken a little too
much metal away in his bid to read numbers that were perhaps not stamped
using equal force in the first place, if the after effects of the number
search process the exposed metal was not repainted for some time, this could
explain the local corrosion ?

I live in the U.K. It would appear that a car is deemed to be a Morgan if it
has title to that description by way of a registration document. The
registration document is the UK`s identity slip required by law for the car
which lists it`s engine and chassis number as well as the engine size and
the number of seats and the fuel type used for the vehicle.

As for determining the right to the name Morgan in the eyes of the
registration authority there are guidelines as to whether any Morgan is a
real Morgan or not...... I would not go there, as to attempt to create a
definition would create much argument and division, there are many Morgan
that have much effort time and money  spent on them, in some cases much of
what is there has never come through the Morgan factory gates, it would be
very unkind to suggest that such cars were not Morgan.   I personally would
not buy a car without a registration document to claim Title to the Morgan
name, even If it was built from all genuine Morgan bits straight out of MMC
boxes by anyone other than the MMC, for in the UK such a car could not be
"registered" as a Morgan in the normal way and is more likely to be termed a
kit car in it`s registration documents and the registration plate would have
to carry a "Q" to denote that the car was a kit, in the UK the value of such
a car would be a fraction of what a "real" Morgan was worth at any time in
it`s "life".

It seems to me that if you have the necessary paperwork the answer is to
have the numbers re-stamped on the chassis using the appropriate size type
lettering in the appropriate location, story ended ?

When I sought to discuss this subject on one of the other lists, a chap
there who had replaced his chassis twice informed me that at the first
change due to corrosion his new chassis could be requested with any number
he liked on it......... He chose the original number with the addition of
the suffix "A" to denote the chassis change, some time later the car was
damaged in an accident which required a replacement chassis to be fitted
again, this time he followed the same procedure for identification though in
this case he added the suffix "B" instead of "A"  to the chassis. He
documented the changes in his file for the car. I doubt that anyone would
consider his car as anything other than a Morgan, though under the strict
terms of the registration law here in the UK the Chassis is the most
important aspect in the registration process and it is to that chassis that
the registration number is allocated by the registration
authorities.......... Hmm! Like I typed earlier, it`s a bit of a minefield
best avoided by the simplest means possible ?

I have heard of cars identities being altered (not Morgan)by cutting the
damaged numbers out of the appropriate area  of a damaged car and cutting
the numbers out in exactly the same way from a stolen car, then welding the
damaged car numbers into the stolen car number location....... The car with
the old identity and new parts is called a "ringer" in UK parlance......

As a Morgan is such a simple car to mix and match parts on, and that many of
the Morganeers take much pleasure in doing so, would make for great
discussions amongst aficionados of the marque as to whether any particular
car was considered by them to be a  true Morgan.... (-:

With so few owners I should think you could trace your car`s history quite
easily and from what you type your car lacks no right to claim title to the
Morgan name.

Happy to discuss.

Cheers,   George.

///