TR4 with Stuck pistons

To: morgans@autox.team.net
Subject: TR4 with Stuck pistons
From: Craig Edmonds <cedmonds@dundee.net>
Date: Tue, 17 Jul 2001 15:53:31 -0400
 I recently purchased a '63 +4 roadster with TR4 engine. I knew the
owner for many years, and I was aware the vehicle had sat in his garage
for nearly 20 years.

 Unfortunately, The engine wouldn't turn over.

 I took the head off and found the pistons to be seized fast in the
sleeves. I pulled the caps off the #2 & #3 connecting rods, and tried
tapping down on the pistons with a wood block and mallet to no avail.
Also tried alternate mild heating with a torch, then irrigating with
marvel mystery oil, then more tapping.

 I am unable to pry on anything of substance on the crankshaft due to
the angle it stopped at, although I did put a wood block under one of
the projections on the crankshaft and jacked up on it, which merely
lifted the engine.

 I am unfortunately about out of ideas and big tools. If anyone would
have any helpful suggestions, I'd appreciate hearing them. Alternately,
if you would happen know a shop in the Toledo / Detroit area which would
be comfortable dealing with this kind of problem I'd be delighted to
hear of them. It could be the beginning of one of those long & lasting
relationships. <BG>

   Regards,

             -Craig

///