Stuck pistons

To: morgans@autox.team.net
Subject: Stuck pistons
From: Stuart DeBaker <s_debaker@yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 17 Jul 2001 13:15:07 -0700 (PDT)
--- Craig Edmonds <cedmonds@dundee.net> wrote:
>  I recently purchased a '63 +4 roadster with TR4
> engine. I knew the
> owner for many years, and I was aware the vehicle
> had sat in his garage
> for nearly 20 years.
>
>  Unfortunately, The engine wouldn't turn over.
>
>  I took the head off and found the pistons to be
> seized fast in the
> sleeves. I pulled the caps off the #2 & #3
> connecting rods, and tried
> tapping down on the pistons with a wood block and
> mallet to no avail.
> Also tried alternate mild heating with a torch, then
> irrigating with
> marvel mystery oil, then more tapping.
>
>  I am unable to pry on anything of substance on the
> crankshaft due to
> the angle it stopped at, although I did put a wood
> block under one of
> the projections on the crankshaft and jacked up on
> it, which merely
> lifted the engine.
>
>  I am unfortunately about out of ideas and big
> tools. If anyone would
> have any helpful suggestions, I'd appreciate hearing
> them. Alternately,
> if you would happen know a shop in the Toledo /
> Detroit area which would
> be comfortable dealing with this kind of problem I'd
> be delighted to
> hear of them. It could be the beginning of one of
> those long & lasting
> relationships. <BG>
>
>    Regards,
>
>              -Craig

Three things to try: diesel fuel, auto trans fluid
poured into the cylinders, or PBlaster sprayed into
them. I prefer the PBlaster as it has produced some
amazing results for me. You may have to let the
treatments soak for a week or more. Patience should be
rewarded.

Be careful when trying to force the pistons by turning
the crank. You will probably unseat the sleeves. It is
also possible to break piston rings and or pistons.

Paul

///
///