Re: Wood Work

To: Keboom05@aol.com
Subject: Re: Wood Work
From: Charles Hill <candahill@worldnet.att.net>
Date: Sun, 17 Feb 2002 18:40:07 -0600
Evan,

Mike Sherrell, who wrote the premier book on MG TC restoration lives in
South Perth, AU.  He says that ash doesn't hold up well under Australian
weather in addition to being impossible to get.  He states that he has
used Red Meranti in the past, but he is using Nyatoh now as it is light
and hold screws well.  Don't know a thing about it as I'm in the US.
I've always used american ash - the same stuff they make baseball bats
out of.  Has anyone had any success with oak?  I've never used it
because I have alway figured that it is too brittle and could crack when
the body flexes.

Regards,
Charles Hill