Re: Replating and repair of bright parts?

To: "Bates McLain" <sprayandclean@ns.gemlink.com>
Subject: Re: Replating and repair of bright parts?
From: "John T. Blair" <jblair@exis.net>
Date: Sun, 17 Aug 2003 22:44:40 -0400
At 05:24 PM 8/17/03 -0400, Bates McLain wrote:

>I have a   number of parts for my 4/4 restoration that need either
replacement
>or replating.
>
>Has anyone dealt with a good replating shop that will also repair / fill
>items such as the bumper overiders which are a bit dented, bent bumper blade.
>
>The Morgan badge which goes on the cowl has no pitting, but wont shine up,
>other parts like the windshield frame are slightly pitted.  Some bright parts
>are available new very reasonably priced, some are pricy enough that
replating
>seems an option, others  (like the windshield frame, bumper overiders) are
>made from unobtanium and there is no option other than plating.

Bates,

I'd say call any of the Morgan vendors and see what you can get new parts
for.  Replating is very labor intensive - spelled expensive.  I don't
have any one other than a local fellow that I've delt with.  I don't know
if he will rework the piece or simply replate it.  If you are interested
I can try and call him tomorrow for you.  I don't know if he can quote a
price with out seeing it.

There are several places I've seen with web pages, but I think they are
going to be even more.  I had my 2 windshield mounting ears and grill
rechromed by in about 90 and it was about $225 then.  Don't know what
it would be now.

John

          48 TR1800    48 #4 Midget    65 Morgan 4/4 Series V
                       65 Rambler Classic

Morgan:    www.team.net/www/morgan
Bricklin:  www.bricklin.org