[oletrucks] oil filters

To: trucks <oletrucks@autox.team.net>
Subject: [oletrucks] oil filters
From: John Walch <JWalch@aiusa.com>
Date: Mon, 08 Feb 1999 20:13:44 -0500
Guys,

A while ago I had a problem with oil pressure on our '54 235. Some of
you replied that your oil pressure never drops below 30 psi (on the old
30 psi guages) but others said it could drop to 15 at idle.  My question
is for those who have drops in oil pressure: Do you use an oil filter?

I have a Napa add on filter with a spin on element. After some thought,
it bothered me- the idea that the oil pressure was being lost through
the filter and returning back to the pan. As an experiment, I took mine
out of the system to see what difference it made. Now the guage pegs 30
rather than the 15 psi I had with the filter. Were the old filters that
came with them more restrictive possibly?

The most important thing I learned with this engine is that I should
have rebuilt it myself in the first place instead of paying someone else
to screw it up.

Thanks, John
51 chevy 5-window
http://www.aiusa.com/jwalch/antiquecars.html