Re: [oletrucks] optional equiptment?: heaters, turn signals, shocks

To: <oletrucks@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] optional equiptment?: heaters, turn signals, shocks
From: "Lewis Osborn" <losborn@teleport.com>
Date: Tue, 9 Feb 1999 20:57:06 -0800
From: Steve Brandon <brandon@acuson.com>

The information below is about the 1940 models, but I think that most of
it will apply to the '46 models.

>I have a 46 2 Ton flatbed (PW series) I am working on, and I have a few
>questions about some missing pieces.
>
>Truck has no heater.  Was there a factor option heater available
>that I should be looking for?  Aftermarket heaters that fit?  How were
>these plumbed into the motor...I don't see any obvious hookups
>on the old 216, but the 235 I have looks like it has a spare hole
>near the lower rad hose inlet on the water pump (I think this would
>be the cold water return from the heater).  A second hole  just below
>thermostat housing would be the hot side...right?

That sounds right.  The Forty came without a heater - The one that has
been in ever since I can remember has a big MW emblem (Montgomery Wards)
on the front of it.  One of the hoses is connected to the water pump and
the other goes to the housing where the upper radiator hose connects.
It never worked very well, probably because the engine always ran cool.

>The truck came with no shock absorbers.  Were these optional or
>are they just missing?   I believe they used knee action shocks during
>these years...and looking around I can't find any info on heavy
>duty knee action shocks (I found some info on car & 1/2 ton
>shocks)

The 1940 Chevrolet Truck Data Manual for Chevrolet Salesmen has
specifications for shocks up through 3/4 ton.  There is no mention of
shocks on the heavy trucks.  Looks like they didn't have any.

>The truck came with no bed... hence no tail lights.  What  tail lights
>were standard  on the '46 trucks?  Is it the same as the 1/2 ton
>trucks (single tail light/lic plate light ).  The truck had a
signalstat

>turn signal installed sometime back...what kind of tail lights were
>supplied
>with these add-ons?
>
>I also have a question on turn signal wiring.  I know you can use dual
>filament bulbs & sockets to get the turn signal and  running lights fro
>
>the same bulb.  Did they use these for the rear light or did they use
>different bulbs for running lights and brake light? Are these dual
>element
>bulbs available in 6V?

I remember when my Dad installed signals on our '39 Chevy ton and a
half, probably about 1960.  The kit came complete with all lights and
required no modification of the truck's wiring.  (They were available
with self
cancelling OR 4-way flashers, but not both.  Dad chose the
self-cancelling kit.)

Dual filament bulbs are available in 6V.  Last time I looked they were
also available in amber as well as clear.  That's what I used when I
modified the front parking lights to put turn signals on The Forty, back
about 1974.

>I also have heard of a single filament solution using  diodes to feed
>both the turn signal input and the running light input to the same
>bulb.  Has anyone on the list tried this solution on a 6volt truck?

That's way more complicated that necessary.

Lewis - K7LVO Valley of the Rogue-Medford, OR
"The Forty" - 40 Chevy PU - One Owner
http://www.teleport.com/~losborn/1940.html