Re: [oletrucks] another bedwood question-sorry

To: <oletrucks@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] another bedwood question-sorry
From: "Brad Rusnak" <b_rusnak@telusplanet.net>
Date: Tue, 9 Feb 1999 22:37:55 -0700
This is the information I had saved. Some of this info is found on the
chevytrucks.org page.
Sorry for the length, but all relevant information should be here on one
page including diagrams.

Brad Rusnak
b_rusnak@telusplanet.net
1949 Chev 1/2 Ton Deluxe Cab

From: Jim Forbes (Mar 31/98
You can cheat on the width...look at the cross sills.  The wood needs to fit
between the holes.  So, make it wide enough to fit between the holes...and
not over the holes.  I think you'll find that it winds up being 4", 6", and
8" wide    :)

From: Allen L. Jones (May 3/98)
For those interested, I finally measured the bed wood for my '50 as
previously requested.  Remember that '47 to '51 has the 9 board set up.  To
that end, here it comes:

Material:  Yellow pine
Thickness: 3/4"
Length: 6' 4-7/8" +/-
Widths:  2 x 4-1/4" (the two side pieces, inboard edge is routed)
              2 x 5"
              4 x 5-1/2"
              1 x 6-3/8"

The edges are milled with two 1/4" slots (correct term?) down each edge, the
outer slot 1/16" in depth, the inner slot 1/8" in depth. I finished the wood
by rubbing on an oil based paint (black to go with the bed strips painted
black w/ clear coat), and wiping it off within 1 minute.  For final finish,
if possible, I think a clear coat would be sweet, but with budget in mind, I
used a UV resistant outdoor, spar varnish, lightly sanded between coats.  It
sure looks good.  The wood grain is dark yet very visible.

From: Allen L. Jones (May 5/98)
Order goes from right to left (drivers to pass) 4-1/4", 5", 5-1/2", 5-1/2",
6-3/8", 5-1/2", 5-1/2", 5", 4-1/4" (i.e. axisymmetric about the center with
the widest board in the center).

Sorry for the poor description.  From a previous thread, here's what someone
had for the "slotting" on the sides of the bed wood:

1/8" deep       _______________
___v__        | 1/4" deep
|  1/2"  |____|
|            1/4"

|__________________________

HOWEVER, mine measures like this:

1/16" deep       _______________
___v__        |  1/8" deep
|  1/4"  |____|
|            1/4"

|__________________________

I measured original bed wood (I had two salvaged boards) and it's more like
the ones I have now (the later of the two diagrams).  The wear iron sticks
up a little high for my tastes.  However, a local fellow who restores these
types of trucks (lots of gray hair) says the wear iron should stick above
the wood so when you are scooping grain or gravel (ya right, like I'm going
to be scooping gravel in the back of my newly restored, pristine bed), that
the shovel scraped along the wear iron and not the wood (just the thought of
that sound makes me shudder).  This is confirmed with the "Bed Restoration
Manual for Early Chevrolet and GMC Pickup Trucks."  I guess I should
remember that these trucks were originally designed for work and not play.
If your bed is for looks only and you're cutting your own wood, I'd suggest
increasing the deepest cut to 3/16" or maybe 1/4" as previously suggested.

Hope your wood works out.  Remember, I ordered my wood precut.  However, I
think it's pretty darn close to original because you can measure from
outside edge of the bolt hole, to outside edge of the next bolt hole on the
cross sills to confirm board width.  They match up very close.