[oletrucks] 1949 /3100/ 5-Window

To: oletrucks@autox.team.net
Subject: [oletrucks] 1949 /3100/ 5-Window
From: "Steve Troxel" <troxel@allencc.net>
Date: Thu, 11 Feb 1999 15:52:22 CST
I put a similar message out a few months ago and did not
receive much response.  Thought I would try again.

I have been looking at a 1949 Chevy 3100 Pickup (5-window
model).  The guy originally wanted $6,750 but dropped his
price to $6,500.  From a distance it looks really good. However,
I have observed that the paint is chipped and faded in a few spots.
The bumpers are original (some chrome and some rust).  Engine
has been painted, but not professionally and some grease and oil
can be seen.  Each time I look at it he reveals new possible
problems.  Push rods were bent but straightened (it did run better
afterwards).  Shift linkage is worn and needs to be replaced.  It
jumps out of gear occasionally when driving down the road. It now
needs a new fuel pump.  All of these items are fixable.  However, I
will have to hire some of it done.  The interior was completely
redone and looks nice.  The guy says he drives it regularly (before
the fuel pump when out) which is what I would like to do.

Even with these problems it looks better than anything I have seen
in my area (Southeast Kansas).  I do not have the experience or tools
to do a complete restoration from the ground up and would like to
buy something that is 80% to 90% finished.  I'm thinking about
offering the guy $4,000 to $4,500.  Am I in the ballpark? Thanks for
any input.

S. Troxel
Steve Troxel, CPA
Vice President for Finance & Operations