Re: [oletrucks] 1949 /3100/ 5-Window

To: "Steve Troxel" <troxel@allencc.net>
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] 1949 /3100/ 5-Window
From: rjj0msj@ix.netcom.com (Rob J.)
Date: Thu, 11 Feb 1999 23:02:43 GMT
On Thu, 11 Feb 1999 15:52:22 CST, you wrote:

>I put a similar message out a few months ago and did not
>receive much response.  Thought I would try again.
>
>I have been looking at a 1949 Chevy 3100 Pickup (5-window
>model).  The guy originally wanted $6,750 but dropped his
>price to $6,500.  From a distance it looks really good. However,
>I have observed that the paint is chipped and faded in a few spots.
>The bumpers are original (some chrome and some rust).  Engine
>has been painted, but not professionally and some grease and oil
>can be seen.  Each time I look at it he reveals new possible
>problems.  Push rods were bent but straightened (it did run better
>afterwards).  Shift linkage is worn and needs to be replaced.  It
>jumps out of gear occasionally when driving down the road. It now
>needs a new fuel pump.  All of these items are fixable.  However, I
>will have to hire some of it done.  The interior was completely
>redone and looks nice.  The guy says he drives it regularly (before
>the fuel pump when out) which is what I would like to do.
>
>Even with these problems it looks better than anything I have seen
>in my area (Southeast Kansas).  I do not have the experience or tools
>to do a complete restoration from the ground up and would like to
>buy something that is 80% to 90% finished.  I'm thinking about
>offering the guy $4,000 to $4,500.  Am I in the ballpark? Thanks for
>any input.

If you have identified everything correctly, I would not expect to pay over
$3000 for the vehicle.  If you start to add up all the individual costs, your
bottom line rises REAL quick.  A GOOD paint job will run anywhere from 1000 -
3000 dollars (or more!).  As an example of why you should learn to do the work
yourself:  Just to have the engine pulled and painted is no small chore, but
doable even for the backyard mechanic with minimal to no experience other than a
desire to learn - you can rent an engine hoist, but if you figure the cost of
paying someone else to do the job for you, but instead do it yourself, you could
have purchased an engine hoist, done the job yourself, learned a lot in the
process, and for the same money, now be the proud owner of the engine hoist -
this is the rationalizing I have used to pretty much justify outfitting my shop.
If you don't have the experience (but more importantly the desire to get the
experience) or the tools (or to think you can own an old vehicle and not acquire
the tools), you really might want to reconsider owning an older vehicle IMHO.
Tools can be added as you need them, but the experience is part of the joy (in
my own case, the greater portion) in owning an old vehicle.  You don't have to
have it going in, but should WANT to get it as you go (this is where adding the
tools comes in).  Old vehicles DO break down...not necessarily often, but they
will.  I started my hobby completely without a clue, and learned at the standard
training academy, The School of Hard Knocks, and can now keep all my vehicles
running (except my new computerized ones).

Rob