Re: [oletrucks] Test & looking for trim...

To: <mcdac@rconnect.com>, <oletrucks@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] Test & looking for trim...
From: "jack halton" <safesix@worldnet.att.net>
Date: Thu, 11 Feb 1999 23:01:50 -0500
Well, I hope I can describe this clearly. Keep in mind that the donor cab
was headed for the scrap heap. The general plan was to get the window
sections out of the old cab, see what we had, then plan the transplant.

The window sections were cut out of the donor cab with a sawzall, the cuts
were made through both inner and outer sheet metal at the same time. They
were cut larger than necessary, then trimmed once out of the truck.  The
entire inner corner was used, from the door pilllar around to the seam, and
from the headliner strip all the way down to the bottom. This inner piece
exactly replaces the corresponding section of the new cab, which was then
removed by drilling out the spot welds. Then, each new corner outer sheet
metal was trimmed to within about an inch of the window opening, and when
put in place, formed a template  which was used to mark where the outer
metal was to be cut. Some grinding and trimming, and the new window sections
just sort of popped into place from the inside. The new window sections were
tacked in place and then butt-welded completely around. After grinding the
outside welds, only about a tablespoon of Bondo per side was used to smooth
everything out . The only clue to the transplant is that we filled the inner
seams next to the center window, although with a little more bodywork this
seam could have been preserved.

I wish I could claim to possess the skill to have done this myself, but the
guy who did it has about 20 years of bodywork and welding experience.

Jack / Winter Park FL