Re: [oletrucks] Test & looking for trim...

To: oletrucks@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] Test & looking for trim...
From: Alan Gingles <agingles@nucleus.com>
Date: Thu, 11 Feb 1999 18:10:23 -0800
I can't believe I have not gotten around to doing something with the
grill guard
> before now as I was VERY excited when I first got it.  Just too many projects
> guess.  The only suggestion I've received so far, is to sandblast, which is
>what
> I planned to do unless someone came up with a better idea.  I had thought
>about
> doing a "reverse" chroming, but suspect that that would be almost as expensive
> (if not more so) than a chrome job, which is why I painted the bumper to begin
> with as the chrome job cost too much (plus the original bumper had a big split
> in it that was easily repaired with a thin layer of bondo and then primer and
> paint.)  Not sure what it would have cost to have it fixed first and THEN
> chromed.  If I find a good (cheap) suitable bumper for rechroming, then I will
> probably have BOTH bumper and grill guard chromed, which is also why I don't
> want to damage the guard to the point of making it unsuitable for a later
> rechroming.
>
> Rob

Rob,

You might want to check into the cost of "reverse" chroming. It
shouldn't cost very much, as all they do is electrically strip the
chrome. The high cost of chroming is the amount of labor involved in
polishing the piece.

Alan Gingles
1948 Chevy "1314"
http://www.nucleus.com/~agingles