Re: [oletrucks] Test & looking for trim...

To: mcdac@rconnect.com
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] Test & looking for trim...
From: rjj0msj@ix.netcom.com (Rob J.)
Date: Thu, 11 Feb 1999 23:12:14 GMT
On Thu, 11 Feb 1999 15:03:00 -0600, you wrote:

>Hi Rob,
>Welcome back! I have Brownells book and a donor roof but was just
>wondering if there was a better (easier) way to do this job. Like to
>check out all my options as long as I'm procrastinating.
>       Did you get any useful advice on preparing the grille guard for
>painting? I suppose a chrome plating shop could remove the old finish
>but don't know the cost. You could always chrome the front bumper and
>Grille to match. :>)

I can't believe I have not gotten around to doing something with the grill guard
before now as I was VERY excited when I first got it.  Just too many projects I
guess.  The only suggestion I've received so far, is to sandblast, which is what
I planned to do unless someone came up with a better idea.  I had thought about
doing a "reverse" chroming, but suspect that that would be almost as expensive
(if not more so) than a chrome job, which is why I painted the bumper to begin
with as the chrome job cost too much (plus the original bumper had a big split
in it that was easily repaired with a thin layer of bondo and then primer and
paint.)  Not sure what it would have cost to have it fixed first and THEN
chromed.  If I find a good (cheap) suitable bumper for rechroming, then I will
probably have BOTH bumper and grill guard chromed, which is also why I don't
want to damage the guard to the point of making it unsuitable for a later
rechroming.

Rob