Re: [oletrucks] Cab Insulation

To: MIKE BOTELER <FRVT83E@prodigy.com>, oletrucks <oletrucks@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] Cab Insulation
From: G CARTER <gcarter@mail.wtamu.edu>
Date: Thu, 18 Feb 1999 08:51:34 -0600

MIKE BOTELER wrote:

> >>Just don't put the spray-on expanding foam anywhere you will ever
> want to
> remove it from and don't encase wires, nuts and bolts, or parts that
> you'll
> want to get to later.  I have spent hours removing it from mechanical
> and
> wiring areas of my truck due to a previous owner who got foam happy.
> <<
>
> BE CARFULL this stuf can twist and distort your sheet metal while
> expanding if sprayed in tight locations!!  I have seen it bow studs
> in walls and jamb doors that had this foam installed around them.
>
> Mike B  '56 8400 Wrecker  :)

I will never, never use expanding foam on a car or truck again!!  After
many months of working to repair the rusted out rear rocker panels on my 71
GMC Suburban, my body shop instructor (local community college body shop
class), suggested that I fill the void with expanding foam.  I had
completely replaced all the rusted metal and painted the inside of the
panels.  I took his advice and filled the panels with expanding foam.

In less than two years, the rockers started rusting out worse than the
previous 20+ years had done.  After cutting into them again, I found the
foam had soaked up water like a sponge!!  Now I've got to do them over
again.  By the way, I live in Amarillo Texas (West Texas) where the climate
is pretty dry.

--
Gearld Carter

><((((*>

52 Chevy 3100 Delux Cab Pickup (Jenny)
64 Delux VW Buss (Eugene)
67 Yamaha 250 Big Bear Scrambler (Rice Burner)
71 GMC 4X4 Suburban (Big Jim)
72 Chevy V6 Vega GT Wagon (Wow! I could have had a V8)