Re: [oletrucks] VIN Numbers

To: oletrucks@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] VIN Numbers
From: rjj0msj@ix.netcom.com (Rob J.)
Date: Wed, 24 Feb 1999 19:40:16 GMT
On Tue, 23 Feb 99 04:35:09 +0000, you wrote:

>Thanks for your help, Iam still a little confused though. I have been told by
>couple people that the VIN Number is 9 digits. Mine is 8. Everything points it
>to be a 1949 3100, except the last digits. I have for consecutive digits
>(numbers) and I was told there was five. Is this always true? I am begining to
>wonder if someone assigned a false VIN to my truck. Can anyone help??? Let me
>know if it matters if the VIN is 8 or 9 digits.
>
>Thanks Again,
>
>Shane
>1949 Chevy Pickup

Shane, et. al,

I can take this one step further.  On my '49, my VIN starts with GBAxxxxxx,
rather than the GPAxxxxxx it should.  THat is also how it is reflected on my
title.  Not sure how this occurred, but the only thing I can think of, is that a
PO or DOT/DMV person read it wrong from the original ID plate, issued a title
for it, then a later PO replaced the original ID plate with a reproduction that
can be had, and had its number stamped to match the title.  All I care about is
that the title and ID plate match.  THAT is what will allow it to continue to be
registerable.

Rob