Re: [oletrucks] VIN Numbers

To: oletrucks@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] VIN Numbers
From: Advdesign1@aol.com
Date: Thu, 25 Feb 1999 06:34:04 EST
In a message dated 02/24/99 03:48:51 PM Eastern Standard Time,
SchornT@ci.fort-worth.tx.us writes:

<<
 Don, you may have intended to address this to Smokey, but in any case, I
 was referring to the Motorbooks Intl' Chev. Pickup Red Book. The VIN
 Smokey supplied shows up as a 3600 with a 216 engine. Period. Has
 nothing to do with how it is registered, only how it was equipped from
 the factory.

 > --------- >>

The Hollander Interchange Manual gives more info:
AHCA  is a 1950 216 engine with 10-1/2" clutch 3600 or 3800 truck.

My Cars & Parts Chevy truck ID Numbers 1946-72 says it is a 216 used on 3600
or 3800 From Flint plant.  they also say it has a 1BC carb which is wrong.
The C in BC   is for automatic choke which wasn't used till much later.  It
came with a Roch. 1B.

I haven't seen Motorbooks Red Book, but so far I've found mistakes in every
book I've read except SPECIFICATIONS.  I really got excited when I found a
mistake in the
1949 Data Book, which I'll write up for VCCA article.

Bob ADler