[oletrucks] 350 install update

To: oletrucks@autox.team.net
Subject: [oletrucks] 350 install update
From: "dave riffel" <cafe_dave@hotmail.com>
Date: Sun, 28 Feb 1999 09:26:49 PST
Hello all,

Just wanted to say thanks to all of you who wished me encouragement and
advice on my engine install.  Some of you had some questions which I
have not yet had time to answer but will in the near future.

As far as the actual job goes:  the weather was absolutely fantastic!
The clouds cleared off and it got into the 70's.  Perfect.

We got the new engine and tranny mocked up in the frame rails and
supported fore and aft.  The frame is levelled as is the manifold.  We
had to trim the bottom "seam" on the cab (where the toe board meets the
floor) to get an extra 3/4" to move the tranny up.  We wanted to get as
much clearance for the oil pan as possible.  This truck is not being
built for show nor will it be restricted to paved roads.  Tommorow Dad
will fabricate some tranny and motor mount brackets.  I need to get my
steering hook up kit (Borgeson joints, etc. for Heidt's Must. II
suspension) so we know where to put the driver's side motor mount.  Once
we're hard mounted I'll begin to button up the front end and we'll spin
it around to do the rear axle.

The clearances are working out perfectly.  I have 1" clearance behind
the distributor and it pulls out easily.  I have probably as much in
front of the fan (using short water pump) and will move the radiator
forward 1/2" for a little extra.  I also need to move the radiator down
to make the fan clear the lower water port and tranny lines.

Boy, this is one heck of a lot of fun.  And in February!

Dave Riffel