Re: [oletrucks] Cooling problems

To: oletrucks@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] Cooling problems
From: "ROGER GLEASON" <rogerg@maverick.facil.uconn.edu>
Date: Tue, 2 Mar 1999 08:28:01 -500
> From:          Majorso2@aol.com
> Date:          Mon, 1 Mar 1999 21:13:55 EST
> To:            oletrucks@autox.team.net
> Subject:       [oletrucks] Cooling problems

> I was surprised that no one came up with the obvious when answering the
> gentlemans question about overheating after his radiator had been cleaned and
> thermostat removed.  The thermostat not only controls the temperature of the
> engine but also serves as a restrictor for the water flow.  It slows the water
> down enough so the radiator and fan have time to cool the water before it
> recirculates through the engine.  If he puts his thermostst back into its
> housing, with the clean radiator,  his heating problems are probably solved,
> provided the radiator is large enough to do the job.

If you had read my reply the first thing I asked was if he put the
thermostat back in... People sometimes amaze me ... when a system is
working as designed don't mess with it... thermostats have been
around for quite sometime and when working properly, function as
designed.. they are however subject to wear and need to be replaced
periodically ... the problem comes when its time to replace them that
all the other system components have been neglected and start to
fail at the same time... now its a game of diagnosis and replacement
by trial and error.... I learned very early that you don't remove a
thermostat...the pressure of the water pump combined with the
pressure by heat buildup overides the cap designed pressure and
usually blows all the coolant out the overflow...if you overfill the
radiator you leave no room for expansion and the same result happens.
I hope all is well with the radiator person and the oletruck is back
on the road!!!

rogerg
51-3100 AD STOCKER