Re: [oletrucks] COOLING/RADIATORS (off-topic somewhat)

To: Chris Dillon <dillo021@tc.umn.edu>
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] COOLING/RADIATORS (off-topic somewhat)
From: Thomas Allen <thomasa@halcyon.com>
Date: Tue, 02 Mar 1999 13:17:27 -0800
Since serious emission controls came into effect water temperatures on many
GM engines have been 195 deg F and sometimes hotter. Early fifties sixes
came with thermostats in the 180 deg range, sometimes 160 for summer. Aside
from heaters not working at 130 to 150 deg. there is a problem of sludge
and varnish building up in the engine. This is particularly a problem on
vehicles driven in city traffic.

Modern oils can withstand much hotter temperatures than oils of the fifties
without breaking down. Further, for the detergents to do their job the oil
temperature must reach a minimum temperatue. Oil temperature is related to
water temperature. I believe you'll find that with no thermostat you'll
soon begin seeing watersludge and consensation on the dipstick. I'd
definately go with a 180 deg thermostat.

Tom Allen

At 04:11 PM 3/1/99 -0600, Chris Dillon wrote:
>Thats a real good temp, infact I wish mine was that low some other guys
>might disagree but I think that 165-190 is considered a good range if your
>in the 200 there is definate need for better cooling...Infact with your
>temp I couldnt get a heater to heat good up here in the cold north.  So
>there is my two cents
>
>Jeff Wilson wrote:
>
>> Okay, I'm going to demonstrate just how LITTLE I really
>> know about auto mechanics....  Just how hot is TOO hot?
>> I've got an ole CAR (58 chevy) with a brand spankin' new
>> radiator that runs at about 130 while moving but can creep
>> up to almost 150 when stuck in traffic.  I realise it probably
>> needs a fan shroud, and that's in-the-works, but am I
>> risking damaging the engine by letting it run up to 150?
>>
>> CJ "I know no-thing!" Wilson
>> oletrucks is devoted to Chevy and GM trucks built between 1941 and 1959

Tom Allen
Seattle, WA