[oletrucks] miq's letter - clarification

To: oletrucks@autox.team.net
Subject: [oletrucks] miq's letter - clarification
From: soundex@eden.com (craig k)
Date: Sun, 21 Mar 1999 23:05:21 -0600
First off, let me say that I think the idea of Miq's letter is a sound one
- one that I intend to propose to the other two auto-related Lists I am on.
It should include our full names and  hometown and state names, and I think
it would be best if it were worded in such a way to show that, while ALL
the members of this List might not be affected by a PARTICULAR state's
bill, we stand in solidarity against ANY state infringing on our right to
our hobby (or daily driver, as the case may be :).
This letter could then be sent to legislators in any state.

I wrote the "vote this..." note because I was offended by the posts
directing me to vote Republican. All I want this List to do is help me keep
my truck on the road - and yours. I accept the fact that some of you have
different viewpoints than I; please do me the courtesy of the same.

Second, several of you wrote that it was all so-and-so's fault; and that in
my second letter I failed to practice what I preach ("don't waste my time
with your political views"). If you read that note carefully, you will see
that in NO place did I mention my political beliefs; only that blaming
Democrats or Enviromenta-Nazi Kooks or whatever as the source of these
bills is misguided. It also plays into the hands of those who wish to
distract you from the REAL issues.

A few things to consider...
D. Slaney wrote:
>If it's a pollution thing.. I wonder if any consideration is given as to how
>much pollution the automakers, airlines, army, navy , airforce, steel-makers
>and on and on, do to this planet compared to our ole trucks, maybe Clintons
>Airforce One, his Helicopter and our Canadian Prime ministers planes
>contribute more to air pollution than all the ole trucks put together?????,

This is the gist of it. Old cars are being used as the whipping boy; all of
the above polluters are allowed to 'trade-out' pollution 'credits,' whereby
they are allowed to produce more pollution than mandated. If you have a
smokestack belching black soot over a national park, its ok if you can buy
or trade some cleaner industries 'surplus' credits to 'pay' for it. Or
crush a buncha old cars.  This law would make some sense if applied
intelligently, but......

Next, A. Gingles wrote:
>About 7 years ago the Alberta government tried to pass a similar
>law. We called it the "curber" legislation. Basically it stated that
>no-one could make ANY form of mechanical repairs unless they were licensed for
>that type of repair. It went so far as to provide a 1-800 number so you
>could snitch on your neighbor. You would not have been able to "legally"
>change your flat tire at the side of the road, or add washer fluid for
>your wipers!

>        This law was backed by the Alberta Dealers Association.

There are no Demmycrats in Canada  :)
Also, please note that a Political Action Committee funded this... interest
groups  paying legislators to bring laws up to vote that favor them.
These bills are up for vote in Texas, Oregon and Missouri (that we know of)
this year; they are all almost identical in wording. SOMEONE is feeding the
text to the politicos, who pass it on. Whether that someone is an
enviromental or business group really doesn't matter.

Lastly,  J. Wilson  wrote:
>Perhaps in a state on the verge of passing any ridiculous "clunker
>laws" that would impact the old-car/ truck hobby, local clubs could
>put on a "classic-cade"- hundreds of restored/ modified classic cars
>circling the state/ county capitol buildings....  I'd certainly be gald
>to come out for one!  Let's also not forget that SOME politicians are
>"real people" too- probably some of them OWN classic cars/ trucks
>themselves.  It would be helpful to tyr to get these people "on our
>side" and fighting against this kind of nonsense "from the inside"....

This is a  proper, reasoned way to approach these bills. Simply saying that
'voting X party will stop Y bills from being written' is folly; both
parties write bad bills and good bills, enviromental and otherwise.
Explaining to your local representative that clean water and air WILL NOT
be preserved by hauling off your old truck just might get through  to them.
Problem is, you're just a voter! If you're a PAC and you have money, you
get listened to. UNLESS you do what the tobacco farmers did - make a stink!

I think the idea of state-house classic-cades nationwide is a brilliant
one! Not only would we get a VERY CLEAR message through to both lawmakers
and public, we would all get to drive our cars and admire each others'
ride.
If any members of  Texas clubs will set a date to meet in Austin, I will be
there.

Perhaps someone out there is involved NATIONALLY in car clubs, and can get
the ball rolling on a country-wide event?

craig
caretaker of
stephanie's 50 3104 216 5-window deluxe