Re: [oletrucks] Mixed emotions about clunker type laws

To: <Passnb4U@aol.com>, "Oletrucks" <oletrucks@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] Mixed emotions about clunker type laws
From: "David Raphael" <draphael@teleport.com>
Date: Mon, 22 Mar 1999 12:43:15 -0800
      I have mixed emotions about this discussion --  both for the reasons
Mike cited, plus my own.  First, I appreciated being alerted to the draft
Oregon legislation and read the draft language.  But, I'm not sure what all
the fuss is about.  As I read it, it simply looks like the bill proposes to
reintroduce some air quality testing for older vehicles (other than show or
special purpose vehicles) -- not take 'em off the road.  Currently, I think
Oregon exempts older vehicles from any air quality testing requirements (and
most safety requirements, including seatbelts and turn indicators).  I'm not
necessarily against all standards.  Looks like some on this list think older
trucks could and should pass reasonable standards.  What's wrong with that.
Besides, Oregon bill as I read it would not go into effect until the year
2010.  Not what I'd call an immediate threat.

    Second and finally, I think that some of the political berating that has
gone on here on this issue is destructive.  It's unworthy of this very
valuable group and resource -- and ought to be stopped immediately.  I would
say to Miq that if issues like this are likely to become so partisan and
emotional in the future, then maybe we should reconsider using the power of
the list for political or policy purposes.

Dave  '49  3100  235  3window
Portland, Oregon
raphael@teleport.com