Re: [oletrucks] Re: vote this or that or CLUNKER LAW, etc.

To: oletrucks@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] Re: vote this or that or CLUNKER LAW, etc.
From: rjj0msj@ix.netcom.com (Rob J.)
Date: Tue, 23 Mar 1999 23:04:21 GMT
To the list:

I guess I owe the list an apology.  I address my first post further down, but my
second post was a direct response to one Craig wrote, which was, I thought, a
response to my first.  In retrospect, I should have sent it solely to Craig.
However, I sent it to the list (as a CONSCIOUS effort and not in the heat of
passion so I guess there goes my only defense) as I thought I needed to try to
clarify my non-political intent (obviously it did not accomplish this).  Craig,
all I can say, is that I never got the email you cited (on either of my two
computers, so don't know how to account for that), and therefore guess I figured
it was addressed to my post and so my response was prompted by your post...
However, I had already decided that my original needed clarification, so I would
probably have posted it regardless - also, I will expect that beer when and if
our paths physically cross :-)

In my second post, I made reference to "...as founder of the list...blah, blah,
blah....".  I made that statement, not in order to get any special consideration
as others have suggested, but was rather saying what I know my goals were in
setting up this list - the minimal "rules" of the list reflect this, and
further, that I believed my original post was in keeping with these "rules" or
lack thereof (IMHO) - I still do.  Others are still welcome to post anything as
long as it pertains to the hobby specifically.  Those who have been around for a
long time remember how much difficulty there was in deciding how to "regulate"
the list...I think we did pretty good!

And to others who are/were savy enough to recognize the role big business is
playing in this issue, congratulations on your perceptions.  However, do you
believe they will be openly putting their money forth under their own guise?  I
suspect that they will throw it at the environmentalists and reap the benefits
in that manner.  And YES, these big business folks are largely republicans who
are merely using an environmental issue to further their own self-serving
benefits.  But WE as a hobby are the losers...not the environmentalists, not big
business, not democrats, nor republicans.

To the rest of the group, all I can say is that whether or not you believe
 it, I KNOW my intent with my post was meant to be non-political, but whether we
like it or not, this IS a political issue (wait and see how the voting goes and
tell me it doesn't have a bipolar political basis), and as such, you can not
take the politics out of it.  My second email tried to explain why I feel that
you can not separate out this one small part of the larger environmental issue.

All I can say, is that I posted what I believe is/was in the best interests of
the group (our hobby) at large.  Clearly I said that I knew that the post would
be unfavorably received by many.  Fortunately for the group, but unfortunately
for my mail box, most choose to flame/support directly to me as I suggested.
Thanks to all that chose that route.

I  will end with that thought.  Again, I feel that the group needs to hear this
(ego-centrist that I am), but also know it will be the VERY last the group hears
from me on this subject, so once again, email/flame/support OFF-LIST please.  Of
course, contrary viewpoints (to the issue, not personalities) are still welcome
on the list.

Rob