[oletrucks] '50 chev project update

To: oletrucks@autox.team.net
Subject: [oletrucks] '50 chev project update
From: "dave riffel" <cafe_dave@hotmail.com>
Date: Thu, 25 Mar 1999 16:29:17 PST
Well, Spring is here.  And I'm still working in the driveway.  I had
tenatively hoped to be back on the road by now but this is a HUGE
project.

So far I've gotten in the 350/350, Must. II front suspension and Camaro
tilt column, plus one bucket seat (so far).

The steering hookup went pretty well.  I used 3 Borgeson single joints
with an idler to the frame in the middle.  It's a really nice setup and
works really well.  It was very costly, though.  This setup will allow
enough room for a nice set of Sanderson headers when I can afford them.
For now I'm using stock manifolds.

The Heidt's Chevy pattern disc brake conversion kit is now installed on
the Must. II spindles as well.  I will never use this kit again nor will
I recommend its use.  The kit requires that you modify (bend and grind)
the spindle and lower control arm to allow clearance for the Chevelle
rotor.  It seems to be ok and Heid'ts assures me that it works and is
safe but I think it's a bunk kit.  It shouldn't even be on the market.
I believe ECI has a Chevy pattern Must. II disc conversion kit that fits
without hacking on your suspension parts.  I will convert to this one in
the future.  Still it's going to be nice to have power discs!

Next on the agenda is new brake lines and switching to the Camaro 10
bolt rear end.  Plus installing the Painless Wiring harness.  This is a
really nice kit that comes with everything.  The fuse box is pre-wired
to the harness.  All of the wires are labelled on the insulation with
where they go on both ends.  Nice kit.  It should be relatively easy to
install as well.

Well,  back to it!

Dave Riffel