[oletrucks] GMC Gauges in a Chevy

To: oletrucks@autox.team.net
Subject: [oletrucks] GMC Gauges in a Chevy
From: "Allen L. Jones" <ALJ@hartcrowser.com>
Date: Mon, 29 Mar 1999 12:30:32 -0800
A while back, someone was going to put GMC gauges in their Chevy AD truck and
wondered about what to do with an electric temperature gauge (fuel, amp, and
oil gauges are a slam dunk).  There were no responses.  Here are some more
questions:  In the absence of being able to find a 6V sensor for the engine, a
general question back to the group is can a 12V sensor (from a late 50s 235
motor) be used with the 6V gauge (6V voltage reducer before the gauge)?  My
guess is that the gauge would read half the correct temperature.  Given that,
can a shunt resistor with the same resistance as the gauge be used in parallel
(with the gauge) to correct the problem?  A diode would probably be needed to
keep the current from looping back into the gauge.  Any thoughts from you
electronics types out there?  I'm going to be doing this to my truck......

Thanks, Allen.
'50 3100