[oletrucks] Rear end blues

To: "jack halton" <safesix@worldnet.att.net>, <MarkNoakes@aol.com>,
Subject: [oletrucks] Rear end blues
From: "R.B. Smith" <rsmith@nckcn.com>
Date: Sun, 4 Apr 1999 12:54:16 -0500
I'm going to have to apologize in advance for this one.

It's very off topic.

I have an 89 F@#d 1/2 ton.   I bought it about 3 months ago.  I never
checked the lube in the rear end and now I'm paying the price.

It has never shown any sign of leaking whatsoever so it must be bone dry.
Never made any noise untill the last couple of days. I can grab the rear
yoke and pinion and move it a good 1/4 - 1/2 inch up, down or side to side.
Bearing and seal must be clear gone.  Is the whole thing toast or is there a
chance it's just the one bearing that's fried? Could my outer axel shaft
bearings be ok?  What are the chances of it being rebuilable or should I
find a complete 3rd member?  I can do the work if need be, just Bartman
rsmith@nckcn.com
OutStandingInMyField
Somewhere on the High Plaines of Kansas
Home page: http://www.nckcn.com/homepage/rsmith/bartmans.htm
Truck links page: http://www.nckcn.com/homepage/rsmith/gctl.htm
My 51 chevy truck http://www.nckcn.com/homepage/rsmith/bct.htmwondering if I
should even bother tearing it down.

Makes me more determined to get the51 chevy running.  I've spent about 8
hours on it so far and have the bed and front fenders and hood removed, cab
is ready to lift off  Engine is all but ready to pull.