Re: [oletrucks] couple of questions

To: greyhawk2@earthlink.net, oletrucks@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] couple of questions
From: Passnb4U@aol.com
Date: Mon, 19 Apr 1999 00:36:03 EDT
In a message dated 4/18/99 9:17:51 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
greyhawk2@earthlink.net writes:

<< When I put my motor together (350 SB) I put on an extra big oil pan, than I
 got an after market dip stick (chrome of course) now I don't know how much
 oil to put in. Is there any way to calibrate the dipstick? Number 2, I
 understand that's important  to make the driveshaft to transmission angle
 match the driveshaft to pinion angle. What's the theory here? Why does it
 cause so much grief if the pinion angle is out of whack?

 Ben Bennett
 55 2nd >>

  You can do this two ways, if you know the size of your pan, i/e 6 quart,
fill up the filter, pour the rest and another 4 qt's in, start it, then shut
it off and let it sit for a bit.
  Now check the oil and scribe a line on the dipstick with a hacksaw, just a
scribe, don't get crazy, this will be your add mark.  Pour in another qt. let
it sit for a bit, then recheck and scribe again, this will be your full mark.
  Don't try to use a punch and hammer (experience talking here) you'll break
the dipstick.
  If you don't recall the size of the pan you bought, use the original
dipstick and tube, and start over again, filling the filter, adding oil (at
least 5 quarts) then start it up, let it sit, keep doing this till you get to
the add mark on your original stick.  Now put your new setup in, and mark the
new stick where the oil is as the "add" scribe, add another qt., that'll be
your "full" scribe.

  As far as the angles go, the "theory" is that if the tranny yoke and the
pinion yoke are at different angle, harmonic vibration will occur, because if
they are at different angles, then the u-joints needles will rotate at a
faster/slower rate than the other ones.
  Now, I'm not to concerned with an exact setting, reason is, you can't take
into account all the different load heights that you car/truck will be in.
Think about it, solo driver, driver and passengers, full tank of gas, empty
tank, load in the back, no load, etc, plus all the combinations of any of
them.
  When I set a rearend in, I put 250lbs in the front seat to account for me
and tools and junk, and 100lbs in the bed, measure the tranny angle, and try
to get close to that on the rear, within a degree.

  Mike