RE: [oletrucks] Question about 283 vs. 350

To: "'oletrucks@autox.team.net'" <oletrucks@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: [oletrucks] Question about 283 vs. 350
From: sheldon <sheldon@ssmachine.com>
Date: Tue, 20 Apr 1999 16:33:58 -0700
Randy,

  Don't know about the air conditioning, but I ran a 350 w/4bbl holly for a
long time, the only time I had temp
problems was sitting in traffic on hot days (the fan was about 6" from the
radiator with no shrowd) also ran a
SB 400 drove it from Texas to Oregon in 2 days....in June.... with no heat
problems!  (only ever had stock radiator)

 Sheldon '56 napco 4x4

I've got a pair of engines that I'm considering building for my '57 half ton.
 I'm very experienced with engines, but not sure which way to go in this
case.  I'm having a little trouble deciding which one to use.  Can some of
you help me?

One is a '59 model 283, complete with '59 model heads (with the offset valve
cover bolts) 2 BBL intake and Carter carb.  Do any of you have an air
conditioning compressor mounted on an early engine without the accessory bolt
holes in the heads?  Does that work out OK?  I'd consider using this engine,
mainly because of the potential fuel economy and nastalgia factor.  On the
other hand, is there any interest from someone out there in my original 283
for their '59?  If so, I'd take $250 for it complete.  It was running last
week.

The other engine is a 350.  Are any of you running 350s having problems with
the original radiator not keeping it cool?

Thanks in advance for any experiences you can pass on to me.

Randy Underwood
CyrusR@aol.com
Springdale, AR
'57 1/2 Ton