Re: [oletrucks] Question about 283 vs. 350

To: oletrucks@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] Question about 283 vs. 350
From: BMORRI1@aol.com
Date: Tue, 20 Apr 1999 23:35:26 EDT
The 283 crank won't work in the 350 block because of the smaller main
journals. You are right that the 283 crank in a 4" bore block makes a
high-reving 302, but you have to use a 4" bore 327 block that has the same
small main journals as the 283.  Putting 350 heads on a 283 would not work
well because the compression ratio would be very low (probably around 7:1
with flat-top pistons) and the bigger intake valves would be very shrouded by
the small 283 bore.  If you are worried about accessory holes on the 283, you
could use 305 heads.  These heads have very small chambers, slightly bigger
intake valves than a 283 (but not as big as a 350), and they have accessory
holes.  Another bonus with these heads is that they have hardened valve
seats...and they are cheap!  I've got this combination in my 1964 Nova wagon
and it runs great as well as knocking down 21-23 mpg on the highway.

Brian Morrison
'58 NAPCO