Re: [oletrucks] Lifter question

To: Ole Trucks <oletrucks@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] Lifter question
From: WR Teto <monadnoc@wgserv.crystal-mtn.com>
Date: Sun, 02 May 1999 07:45:36 -0400
Antonio, hydraulic lifters will be the type that enable you to compress
the lifter by pushing in on the end that accepts the push rod.
Depending on lifter wear and how much oil is inside the body, this may
be easy or hard.

That said, I'd offer one caution.  If you are installing a new cam, DO
NOT use the old lifters.  They will wear out your new cam in a very
short period of time, due to the fact that cams and lifters develop a
wear pattern unique to themselves.  Using old lifters on a new cam is
pretty much a no-no in engine rebuilding.  You can use new lifters on an
old cam, but all around it is better for your peace of mind to install
new parts.  I'd use new push rods too if they are available.  Even if
you re-install the old cam, the lifters must go back in their original
positions or you risk wearing out the cam.  Since it is a relatively
time consuming project to do all this, don't take a chance on premature
wear.  You won't be happy if you have to rip apart the engine again when
your new cam develops flat spots.

Wally / Templeton, MA
53 3100