Re: [oletrucks] trailering a napco suburban

To: <varanus@mail.phoenix.net>, <oletrucks@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] trailering a napco suburban
From: "Kevin D. Pennell" <pennellkd@f-a-s-t.net>
Date: Tue, 4 May 1999 16:01:58 -0400
Eric,

    I was faced with the same dilemma.  Had to get a 1959 NAPCO from San
Antonio to Norfolk Virginia.  Ended up buying a tow bar.  Rental from U-Haul
and purchase from Hidden Hitch were about the same - ($115.00).  Greased the
wheel bearings, checked the rear end fluid and air pressure.  Tires were
good with no dry rot or cracks/slices.  Hooked up the taillights, connected
in at an original connector about halfway back the frame rail on the drivers
side of the 59', got good brake turn and stoplights from the factory wiring
harness on the tow vehicle (95'GMC).  Disconnected both driveshafts, taped
the ends and wired them securely to the frame rails up out of the way, in
case I had to do a quick switch for an under it's own power evolution.
Really was a dream to tow.  Checked the hubs and axle ends for heat at each
stop, and maintained the tightness of the tow-bar (The ball lock worked
itself loose regularly).  Left half my heart and stomach at One serious
panic stop in Houston,  then doubled what I thought was a safe following
distance.  Again, it was a pleasure.  Stayed out of overdrive all the way,
and had no problems.  Go for it!  Spend that hard earned money wisely!

Kevin
59' Apache38/NAPCO