RE: [oletrucks] trailering a napco suburban

To: oletrucks@autox.team.net, varanus@mail.phoenix.net
Subject: RE: [oletrucks] trailering a napco suburban
From: MIKE RAHL <MRAHL@martinmartin.com>
Date: Tue, 4 May 1999 15:14:33 -0600
Eric,

In order to get to Grand Junction (el = 4600 ft) from eastern CO you are
going to have to go over mountain passes 10,000 -11,000 feet no matter
what way you look at it.  There are basically 3 main routes.

1.  Northern route, I 70 west from Denver.
     Eisenhower Tunnel - 11,100
     Vail Pass - 10,700
2.  Middle route, US 50 west from Pueblo
     Monarch Pass - 11,300
3.  Southern route, US 160 west from Walsenburg
     La Veta Pass - 9,400
     Wolf Creek Pass - 10,850

I grew up in Rye, a small (250 people) town in southern CO.  I now live
in the Denver area.  I've traveled, hiked, camped all over this state so
if I can help you out with any questions you have concerning route
selection, I'd be more than happy to.

If I was towing a vehicle, I'd want to have a good trailer w/ good
brakes.  Wouldn't want you to have to use one of those runaway truck
ramps :-).  It always makes me nervous when I smell someones brakes
while I'm driving in the mountains.  I personally witnessed a trucker in
dire straights coming down the west side of the Ike Tunnel - smoke
billowing from his brakes.  Fortunately he made it OK - some don't.

Another less mountainous option might be I 40  through Albuquerque, then
northwest to Farmington, although if you break down in that section help
is few and far between.  You then could skate the CO-UT border to Grand
Junction.

Good luck,
Mike