[oletrucks] fuel economy and questions

To: oletrucks@autox.team.net
Subject: [oletrucks] fuel economy and questions
From: "Samuel Quincy" <samuelquincy@hotmail.com>
Date: Fri, 14 May 1999 10:43:54 PDT
Thanks to all who have responded regarding my 59 Apache 1/2 ton.  Like I
said, it's got a rebuilt 235 IL 6.  I failed to mention that I replaced the
carb with a remanufactured one barrel stock Rochester, and that I had
changed the rearend gears from the farm gears to a 3.38:1, which allowed me
out on the freeway.
But here's a couple more questions:
What would happen if I went from 15 inch to 16 inch tires?  Would it give me
any significant economy lift?  Would it really affect my 1st gear pull-off a
lot from a dead stop?
And second--I've heard talk of the OD transmissions.  I've got the standard
column shift 3 speed.  Where would I get an OD transmission, or rather, what
should I look for?
Thanks again!

Sam Quincy
59 Apache 1/2 ton