Re: [oletrucks] Front Brakes

To: <cupola2@worldnet.att.net>, <oletrucks-digest@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] Front Brakes
From: "Kevin Lake" <lakek@oit.edu>
Date: Sat, 15 May 1999 19:15:56 -0700
Problem #1  Either some one has got dirt/mud into the master cylinder and
it has worked its way down to the front cylinder (closer to it than the
rear cylinder), but more likely the "mud" you found is a very fine
rust-based-sludge.  This can happen in older braking systems that have sat
for a long time unused.  The brake lines and other parts will develop a
very fine coating of rust (from moisture in the fluid) over a long time
sitting.  When the system is put back into service, the movement of fluid
in the lines and metal on metal movement can loosen the rust and it will
move to the lowest point.  I have found this problem with at least three of
the vehicles I have had over the years.  You can check to see if it is rust
with a magnet.  If it is rust,  you will want to go completely through the
braking system and replace all the lines and cylinders.  Brake lines may
have developed thin spots and may crack/burst under pressure (been there,
done that, don't care to try it again).  8^\

Problem  #2 Sounds like you have bad axle seals (pull the axles and replace
the seal).  You may want to check the point on the axle where the seal
rides to see if it is still smooth.  If the axle is damaged, you should be
able to buy a repair sleeve for it at your local auto parts store (I think
NAPA carries them).  Good luck with it.

Kevin Lake
56 GMC Suburban/napco