[oletrucks] Clutch Chatter

To: "Oletrucks" <oletrucks@autox.team.net>
Subject: [oletrucks] Clutch Chatter
From: "Tony D'Angelo" <tonyd3@earthlink.net>
Date: Mon, 17 May 1999 10:25:12 -0700
Its been a long time since I've done anything to my truck (other than run
errands).  Anyway, I have clutch chatter when the pedal is completely
engaged (pushed to the floor).  It silences as soon as I begin to release
it.  About a year ago, I replaced the throughout bearing and the pivet ball.
There was no change.  I seem to remember from a prior post that the clutch
disk has a shorter neck on one side. If installed backward, could this be
the cause?  What are other potential causes?  The prior owner installed the
clutch and it has about 4,000 miles on it.  Driveline is original torque
tube.  Engine is a 1957 235.

As a related question, the transmission cross member is separating on the
left hand side, i.e. the spot welds on top left front have torn.  What are
probable causes for this?

Thanks in advance.

Tony D.
51 1/2 ton