[oletrucks] '46 "Burb" Model Now Available

To: oletrucks@autox.team.net
Subject: [oletrucks] '46 "Burb" Model Now Available
From: Hudson29@aol.com
Date: Mon, 17 May 1999 18:52:51 EDT
        I have been off-list for the last several weeks due to the press of
business and other spring activities, so if this repeats an earlier post by
someone else, I offer my apologies in advance.
        Danbury Mint [(800) 493-2934] has sent me a flyer for a very tempting
new model. It is a 1946 Chevy Suburban in 1:24 scale. The model is red with
black fenders and looks very sharp. It has all of the features you would
expect in a model of this class like opening doors, hood and milk truck doors
plus a couple of special ones. Just like the real truck, the windshield tilts
out on hinges in the roof of the cab allowing you to pose the windshield in a
lifelike position. Another realistic feature is the removable rear seats
complete with tubular seat frames, and front seats that fold and tilt forward
to allow assess to the rear seats/load area.
        The interior is well detailed for a model of this scale and includes
an accessory spotlight and heater unit. The hood folds in the middle and
reveals a gray motor with carb, spark plugs, radiator, fuel lines etc. The
undercarriage is similarly detailed and includes the spare tire.
        A few years ago, I would have called all such pre-assembled replicas
toys. The problem has always been one of scale. Smaller details are rarely
recreated in scale with the rest of the replica. Tiny parts all too often
judged to be too hard to work with in production and the many working
features required out-of-scale bits to make them work. This new Chevy seems
to have less of these sorts of these unsightly compromises than some replicas
I have seen and I think it is fair to say that this Suburban is a real model
and not merely a toy.
        As you might guess, they do ask a hefty price for this attractive
little Chevy. It will set you back $135 plus shipping and tax if you are
unlucky enough to live in the wrong State.

Paul O'Neil,
1951 Chevrolet 3600 Pickup Project, See it at:
The Poor Man's Advanced Design Tech Tips Page
http://home.earthlink.net/~conntest47/
Fullerton, California USA
Hudson29@aol.com